Sunday, May 14, 2006

Guess who is a Third Year Medical Student!!!

This Friday concluded my second year of medical school.  And thus ends the two years of basic sciences training at Temple University.  I passed my Pharmacology departmental exam on Thursday, and on Friday I took two NBME exams -- 125 Questions in the Pharmacology exam and 200 questions in the Comprehensive Basic Sciences Exam (which is like a "mini boards").  So in one day I completed 325 questions.  On June 12, when I take Step 1 of the boards, I will have to complete 350 questions!!  No sweat.

Jess and I went to the end of the year BBQ at Fairmount Park.  It looked like such a beautiful day when we left the apartment, but when we got to the picnic, the sky slowly opened up and we barely avoided getting completely soaked.  When we got home, Mom, Dad and Pete stopped over for a visit on their way to a weekend getaway.  It was nice to have them all over for an overnight visit.

Well, I took it easy and did not do any studying this weekend, but beginning Monday AM I will begin studying 8-10 hours per day for the next four weeks.  I'm going to do my best to stay focused and study hard for the big day.  Which may include Jess dropping me off at Widener every morning and picking me up on her way home from work.  I will be perusing many study books, and also going over many practice questions.  I also have this really neat audio series of 55 CDs that I have heard is a big help in getting in the 90th percentile for the boards.  Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I need a lot of prayer as this test may have some bearing on what residencies I can get into after I graduate.  No sweat, though... LOL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Studying 8-10 hours a day??!! Yikes!

Sara

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S dedication! I know you'll do fine, but I pray often for you. Can't wait for 3rd and 4th year...what fun!

Anonymous said...

All your hard work will pay off! God will reward your faithfulness! We love you & are so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a sophomore in an undergraduate school and I want to be a doctor too. A specialty in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is what I'd like to do but I've noticed while searching through Med Schools that not many have PM & R residencies. Does it matter when applying to Med. Schools if they have the residency I want or not? Thanks.