It has been two months since I last blogged. Sorry for the long delay. So goes medical school. The end of my medicine rotation was very busy. I had to spend 6 whole days studying for the final exam. Then I had a week off before my next block, but for some reason I just did not feel like blogging. I guess that is what a full week of studying does to me. So I'm back.
After spending almost 12 weeks in the inpatient medicine wards of Temple University Hospital and Crozer-Chester Medical Center, I was ready to be done with it all. Crozer was a nice change from Temple. The whole 5 weeks was more relaxed than Temple. The residents don't even do overnight call unless it is a weekend. So I only had to do 3 weekday calls and one weekend call. Weekday call was only till 9PM. But all this added free time was not spent lounging. I started cracking down on all the reading that I didn't do during the first 6 weeks. All this to prepare for the final exam. It seems like my evaluations were great, but my grade will depend on both my evals and my final exam. I have to wait a bit before I get my score back. I hate standardized exams -- always takes so long to get my score back. But I am thinking that I passed, so all will be well. It won't be too fair though if I get great evals, but my test score drops me down to average.
This week I began another block - 6 weeks of Pediatrics. For the first two weeks I am in the outpatient clinic. Later I will spend two weeks in inpatient pediatrics, as well as some time in the newborn nursery and the newborn ICU. So far I am liking pediatrics. I never thought I would like to be a Pediatrician, but now I am thinking of possibly doing a pediatric subspecialty. That is if I can change my mind from Radiology. Kids are so much nicer than adults. Their problems are usually not as numerous as adults. And lastly, Pediatricians are generally nicer than internists (imho, :-) We'll see if I still think this way after spending some time in inpatient and nursery.
Well, that is all for now. Life is otherwise great. We have had lots of fun in our church. I am joining the choir this week, and I have also been enjoying a Men's Bible study that I go to every other week.
We both love and miss everyone!! Come and visit if you can.
5 comments:
Pediatrics sounds like fun--until one of the kids bites you or kicks you or something. ;) Oh well--it will give you good practice for being a dad! ;)
Dave,
I'm convinced you'll excell in any field you choose! I can see you in so many fields. Good luck choosing. (You should discuss pediatrics with Madjid.) So glad you're enjoying something you've waited years to experience. Way to go, son! Did I mention that we love you & are so proud of you?
I'm glad I read your blog, D, because now I know you invited the whole blogoshpere over to our apartment! It's okay, I'll just pop some popcorn. You are awesome at being a med student and a husband all at the same time. I had no idea that life would be this fun in PA, away from everyone we know. But it is and I'm really going to miss it when we leave. Time is flying and your rotations seem fun and interesting, unlike the majority of your first two years, right? Before I know it, I'll have to start planning your graduation party, yikes! I don't know if I can do your's and kindergarten graduation at the same time...
Love you
Dave, I agree with your mom, you will do great in whatever speciality you choose and whoever gets you will be the better off for it. You and Jess are both a great source of joy and blessing to us. Love Mom F
I remember my days in peds. You will enjoy it, just remember to keep your heart open. Don't forget medicine involves both knowledge and patients. Children are more perceptive than adults; be open and honest with them.
Post a Comment