Moonlighting:
the holding by a single individual of more than one paid job at the same time.
The practice of moonlighting has been around for a long time. In the medical field, this practice refers to interns and residents who are officially employed by a residency training program. These residents "moonlight" for a second employer to earn some extra money and experience. Ideally, this extra work should not interfere with their learning or their patient care at their residency training program. Some residency programs allow moonlighting, some frown on it, and some absolutely prohibit it. It just depends on how demanding your program is, and how much sleep you need as a resident.
Saturday, I had the opportunity to work for cash as a medical student. Okay, it was not true moonlighting, but it kind of felt like it. Here I am officially a medical student, one week into the Family Medicine rotation, when I get asked if I would like to volunteer my time on a Saturday morning to help with sports physicals at a local high school, and get paid for it. Since it was only going to be for a few hours, my wife was okay with it. Getting paid for it? Even better!! I got to the high school at 7:45 am to get prepared. The rest of the team was already there: an intern, a second year resident, and a sports medicine fellow. My job was to take blood pressures of all the students right when they came in. This was quite a drag, but I didn't mind. I was getting paid. When 11 am rolled around (50-60 blood pressures later), I was an expert at my trade. I even identified a few kids who had elevated blood pressure. They were still cleared to play sports, but our professional recommendation was for them to follow up with their primary doctor.
All in all, it was a good experience, and I would do it again. I am happy to be able to contribute to my community. And I am even happier to finally be able to contribute financially to my family, no matter how small a contribution this was. Jess and I are planning on going to Lancaster for a weekend, and now this money can help pay for our little trip.
5 comments:
David, you sweet beautiful boy. Wherever you end up as a doctor, that facility will be the better for it! I am sure your blood pressure reading skills will come in quite handy over the next few years. As far as your contributing to the finances of your family THAT too will come over the next few years! Love, Mom F.
So how exactly is it called "volunteering" when you're getting paid for it? ;) Extra money is always nice--especially when you can use it to do something fun with the one you love.
Can't wait to see you guys sooooon! :)
Sara
Cool beans, you got to take blood pressures... isn't that a nurses job? ;) Love you Dave! See you guys at Christmas!
Dave,
I don't quite understand how it's volunteering if you get paid, but OK! That's cool! Can't wait to see you on Thanksgiving Day!
Blood pressures, huh?!?!? Getting paid while improving a skill is always a bonus! We'll see you in less then 2 weeks.
Post a Comment