Can you guess who this is? In surgery you get very good at recognizing people from just a few telling features: eyes, voice, height, body shape, etc. By the way, that is me in the pic.
So I have had a few requests to hear some stories from my overnights at the hospital (on-calls). Stay tuned for that. For now I will just reflect on my first two weeks. I have enjoyed my surgery rotation thus far. After almost a full week of orientation (minus a day for New Year's holiday), I jumped right in... to the surgical specialties. My first 4-5 weeks of this rotation consist of things like ENT (week 2), ophthalmology (week 3), urology (week 4), and orthopedics (week 5). After that I get a little bit of Anesthesia mixed in with a lot of General Surgery.
So far I have spent time in the ENT office seeing patients with various complaints, from allergies, to sinus troubles. I have also spent time in the OR watching tonsillectomies and adenoidectomies. And don't forget turbinectomies and septoplasties (both nose/sinus/breathing surgeries). All in all, I like ENT and, who knows, maybe I will choose ENT for my residency. This week is Optho week. I have seen lots of patients in the office with glaucoma and cataracts. Today, I spent a few hours in the OR watching cataract/lens replacement surgeries. Each one takes 10-15 minutes, so I saw quite a few. Interesting learning, but no need to see all 10 (yes, TEN) that were on the schedule today.
Well, I've got urology next, and then orthopedics after that. I'll let everyone know how those go. Tomorrow I am on call again. Maybe I can get some sleep so that I won't be so tired for our company on Friday. If not, I will at least have some interesting stories to share with you all.
8 comments:
Don't you look CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!
Life as a doctor sounds fascinating, and always moving too! You look cute in the pic, bro!
You're the second cutest doctor I've ever seen (2nd only to your Dad)! Keep up the good job, Dave! We love you & are so proud of you!
Cute pic!
Boyk with only your eyes showing you look EXACTLY like your brothers!!!! Can't deny genes, I guess. Kudos on the 2 High Passes. I cannot believe how quicky your time in Med School is zipping by. I am so pleased you are enjoying it so much. It is such a blessing when you can earn your doing what you love to do.
Love, Mom F
LOL love your serious doctor face there. ;)
I like watching surgeries on TV and stuff, but eye surgery freaks me out. I would love to get that laser eye surgery done, but the thought of having to keep my eyes open, and seeing that big laser coming at me... ::shudder::
And don't get all doctor-y on me and tell me "That's not what it's really like" because that's the way I picture it in my head, and it's going to still freak me out no matter what you say. :)
C'mon with the stories! Did that GSW freak you out?
OK, so not having seen you in eons (probably since Sara's wedding) I took a look at that DR pic & immediately recognized you from you eyes. However, when I blew up the picture of you & Jess I had to laugh at the fact that I did a double take trying to figure out if it was really you...
- Rebecca
Dave I found you through my sister's blog and then Sara's. Can't believe we live in the same city!! my husband Ian is the teaching elder at our church
www.gracebiblechurchne.org
and my e-mail is grace4rachel@yahoo.com
Would love to invite you and Jess to visit us!
Rachel (Adams) McConnell
Post a Comment