Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Long Road Travelled

Well, here I am once again with excuses for why it has been since Dec 1st that I have posted anything at all. I will keep it short, and not try to cover every detail of why I have been away from the Blogger posting page.

Interview season has been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Okay, it wasn't all that bad. Over the course of 3.5 months, I travelled between home and New England probably a half dozen or more times. I tried to combine as many of them as possible -- working four interviews on one trip was the best I could do. And don't think that I had nothing to do when I was NOT interviewing. During the months of November, most of December, and all of January, I was busy with taking my USMLE Step 2 exams (there are two parts, I did the first in Nov. and the second in Jan.), Pulmonary Medicine elective, and Orthopedic Surgery elective. I was also "fortunate" enough to be able to slip a few interviews in during my two week Christmas break. At least that allowed me to save a little travelling. My last interview of the season was on Jan 24th. It was also the program's last interview of the season. I must say that it was a fun interview. It was the only place that actually offered me a free hotel room for the night before, and it was one of two places that offered a free dinner with the residents the night before the interview. I took part in both of these amenities. The hotel was nice, and the dinner was excellent!!

Did I say I was relieved to be done my interviews? Well, I am!! It is quite exhausting to do all the travelling, prepare for each interview, pretend to be a nice person, and be away from my tremendously supportive wife for all that time. Since I know you all want to know -- I think most of my interviews went as well as I could have wanted. Thanks for all of your prayers. Now comes the wait... On March 20th, I will be matched to the best possible program that I interviewed at. You see, I get to "rank" each program I visited, and each program gets to "rank" each applicant they interviewed. All this info goes into a computer, and then hopefully everyone gets a satisfying match in March.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I'm glad all your interviews were successful. That's nice that one place gave you a free hotel stay and a free dinner. I guess they want you to rank them numero uno!

It stinks being away from your spouse, so I'm glad for you that that's over with.

Match Day will probably sneak up on you before you know it. Are you nervous? :)

Anonymous said...

We have NO doubt that you will match quickly @ the place of your choice! We're praying! Kudos to Jess for being so supportive! You have alot to be thankful for! Praise the Lord! When does your yearbook come out?

Sara said...

Wow, I didn't realize "interview season" was over already. It's nice that you have a break beween now and Match Day. We'll all be eagerly anticipating March 20! Can't wait to find out how close to us you'll be. :)

Love you, bro!