When it comes to movies, like most people, I enjoy the usual action/thriller genre and the occasional drama or comedy. Well, tonight, my Netflix (gift subscription) Queue served up a documentary by the name of King Corn (Amazon link). You can skip the review if you want. I'll pick up on why I would watch a movie like this after the review.Review:
Star rating: 4/5
Content-wise, this documentary was ripe with information and thought-provoking questions. The presentation was a little "corny" (pardon the pun, I just couldn't resist). This movie starts out following two friends from Boston, who visit a geochemist to find out what they are made of. By examing their hair, the geochemist determines that, like most Americans, the carbon content of their hair comes mostly from corn. Once they realize what they are made of, the pair decide to move to Iowa for the year to grow an acre of corn and try to follow it through the food chain. It turns out that most of the cheap food in America (read: MOST of the food we all consume) comes from corn, either directly or indirectly. And it is cheap because of government corn subsidies. Most junk-food (candy, soda) and even "healthy" foods like juice, bread, pasta sauce and such are enhanced with high fructose CORN syrup (HFCS). Even the meats that we eat come from animals which are grain-fed, which is another word for corn-fed. Why is this problematic? Well, cows thrive off of roaming the range and feeding on grass. Corn, on the other hand, is not very nutritious. As we know it today, corn has been modified to be starch-rich and protein-poor. It is a good food when consumed as part of a healthy diet, but as the main ingredient in cattle feed (or in human food) it is poor nutrition. The pair discover that corn is ubiquitous in the American diet. Corn truly is king. But is it the best thing for us?
END OF REVIEW
Why am I interested in this topic? Maybe it is because I am soon going to be an MD? Maybe it is because cancer and heart disease are in my family genes, and I want to be sure that I eat healthy? Or maybe it is because I am going to be a father soon, and I want to be sure that I set a good example for healthy eating and give my children a chance for healthy happy lives? Most likely it is because my pregnant wife is always weighing the "healthfulness" of foods, and avoiding certain foods for the good of our baby. My wife is like my food conscience.
Whatever the reason, I have been interested in this topic of healthy living for a while. For years now, I have known that white bread, soft drinks, and junk food should be avoided (althought I have undulged often). So for some time I have opted, for wheat bread, water, and healthy snacks. An interesting book on this topic (which I have not read) sparked my interest in the general trend of unhealthy eating and obesity in our country. It is called In Defense of Food (here at Amazon) by Michael Pollan. Pollan was actually in the movie, King Corn. The main idea in his book is that Americans need to get back to eating real food -- food that can be recognized as food. The less processed, the better the food is for you. Pollan puts it like this -- when you go to the supermarket, fill your cart with things from the perimeter of the store (this would include all the fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, cheeses, breads, etc) and avoid everything in the middle aisles of the store (processed foods like soda, cookies, crackers, cereal, cake mix, etc.). I like this idea, although I don't always find it so easy to follow. I can't really give a review on this book, since I haven't read it. But I like the idea of this book.
I have read another book which is related to this topic. I'm sure you are all interested in knowing more. Aren't you? It is called The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin (here at Amazon). The Maker here is the God of the Bible. Rubin had severe Crohn's disease when he was younger. When he was on the verge of death, he found someone to help him follow the diet of the Bible. He has remained healthy ever since, without the need for any drugs or hospitalization. He has since honed the diet to perfection and writes about it in his book and at his website: http://www.gardenoflife.com. Although I am not wholly a believer of everything that he says or all of the products he peddles, he is onto something. In the Bible, God told the Jews to avoid certain animal meats in their diets. Orthodox Jews today will not eat pork (including delicious bacon), certain kinds of fish, lobster, crab, shrimp, and more. Rubin asserts that these are inferior (and even harmful) foods. He advocates eating free-range grass-fed beef, free-range poultry, and buying all your dairy, fruits, and vegetables organic and locally grown if at all possible. This way we would be eating the most nutrient rich foods without putting herbicides, pesticides, or antibiotics into our bodies.
So what do all these sources point out? For the past 30-40 years, Americans have enjoyed an abundant and cheap food supply. Perhaps this has ended up producing inferior produce and livestock? Perhaps what is best for the economy is not what is best for our waistlines? Our health? Our mental health? The ramifications of what we put into our bodies are far reaching, indeed. To complete the circle: I wonder if what was thought to be best for the economy -- a cheap abundant food supply -- may in fact cripple our economy indirectly by shortening our lifespans, decreasing our quality of life, and increasing our health care expenses.
I'm not saying you all should become health nuts (although nuts are very healthy), but I do recommend reading The Maker's Diet and watching King Corn. Perhaps setting a good example of a healthy lifestyle is one of the best legacies we can leave. Let me know what you think.
******************************************************
As a side note: I put up a little chat bubble on the side bar, near the top. It will tell you if I am online and show my status. If you click it, you can chat with me in a popup browser window.
5 comments:
Sounds like a great video & 2 great books as well! Good job on your review & all the information you included was really helpful! You're going to be such an awesome doctor! Dr. Dave! You do us proud!
I've never seen this movie, but I have heard of The Msker's Diet. Lots of good points brought up here, and this topic has been more on my mind since we had Ari--and now especially since she's eating the same foods we are. Lucky for us, she likes fruit right now, but I'll be the first to confess we feed her plenty of less-than-healthy foods, partially because they are so convenient.
Anyway, I won't go on and on. Good post, though! :)
Also, I saw in your sidebar that you're "twittering"--this is the hot new thing-to-do, huh? ;)
Ok, now you've got me curious! What exactly is "twittering"? Is it like Thumber on Bambi when he gets "twitter-pated"?
Hi Dave,
Congrats on grad week to a wonderful former student! We're so happy for you and Jess.
Eric and I read The Maker's Diet 4 years ago and immediately implemented it 100%. It has turned our health around completely. I could go on and on about the objective results in our health, but I'll just hit the high points:
Eric's liver enzymes were triple the normal range - now they are dead center normal. He had numerous precancerous polyps before starting (late 20s, early 30s). Now that he's approaching 40, he's perfectly clean. His cholesterol has dropped 150 points (that's on a high sat fat diet, no less), and his ratio is excellent. He was scoped for horrific heartburn, and had regular migraines before starting. Gone.
I had thyroid, bp, insulin, cholesterol, allergy, and many more serious issues going on, including IBS. Gone, too.
Hudson, my oldest, used to vomit unexplainedly at least every couple of weeks. Once we started, he never did again. We all used to get horrific styes under our eyes. No longer. The kids like healthy foods ("yum, broccoli!"), and we have no power struggles over getting them to eat well.
Believe it or not, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I know it's just anecdotal, but it certainly has made the world of difference for our family. The hardest part is initially sourcing the food. Once you get a good system down, though, it's very do-able, not as expensive as you might think, and easy and delicious to follow. www.eatwild.com is a good place to start.
If you do end up embracing this philosophy, you would be a rare MD, indeed, although I do know several who do. There are many more resources on this topic, including the Weston A. Price Foundation www.westonaprice.org (a secular version of TMD), and documentaries like The Future of Food.
Blessings to you and your growing family. We'll be praying for you in the next step of your journey.
Miss you!
Much love,
Jen Keifer
Post a Comment