Friday, February 22, 2008

Persian or Iranian Tea

My father (and his side of the family) was born and raised in Iran, and I take pride in my Persian or Iranian heritage. I have always enjoyed Persian cuisine, and one of the highlights of any family gathering with my Persian relatives is tea. Tea is very popular in Iran, and it is either consumed before or after dinner (or simply by itself) with fresh fruit and various sweets. I have always been fond of the peculiar taste of Persian tea, which is different from the taste provided by popular American-branded teabags. In my opinion, it is much better than the typical orange pekoe type found in the supermarket. It is full-flavored, with a deep amber color, and the aroma recalls memories of gatherings with my Persian side of the family.

Those that know me might know that for the last 10 years, I have been somewhat of a coffee and tea connoisseur. I delight in all of the flavor and freshness that can be enjoyed in a good cup of Joe or tea. Since I enjoy Persian tea so much, I would very much like to be able to replicate it for myself. For the past few years, I have tried to find out exactly what makes a good Persian tea. I have asked my own family members, and tried researching on the Internet. The answers vary from one source to another, but I believe I have narrowed it down to a few key ingredients which can be varied and altered according to taste and personal preference.

If you would like to know how to make a glorious cup of Persian tea, read on.

The staple of any good tea are the tea leaves (from Camellia sinensis plant). Teas are divided into three broad categories based on the amount of fermentation allowed during the drying process: black (the most fermented), oolong (partially fermented), green (non-fermented), and white (actually made from the Camellia sinensis flower, not the leaves). Persian tea is of the black tea category. Teas come in even more varieties. Depending on where the tea is grown, what flavors it is combined with, and how the plant is bred, the character of the tea varies quite a bit. I am not an expert on tea varieties, but I find that I enjoy the typical American orange pekoe, Darjeeling, English breakfast, Earl Grey, as well as some oolong and green tea varieties. The main component of Persian tea is an Indian tea called Darjeeling. This tea is usually blended with Earl Grey (or bergamot, the fruit that accounts for Earl Grey's flavor). I have found that some recommend a blend ratio of three to one, but this can be varied based on taste. Another option, which I enjoyed at a Persian restaurant recently, was to add cardamom (of the green cardamom variety) to the tea as it is being brewed.

The best tea can be brewed by using the freshest and finest ingredients. I recommend nothing but loose-leaf tea. The end result is a richer taste, and more control over the final product. The method involves using about one heaping teaspoon per cup and another "for the pot." The selection of tea is of utmost importance in determining the flavor, but brew time is important as well. Experiment with brewing times from 5-8 minutes. The tea can be brewed by the cup using a tea ball and hot water, or in a pot by combining the leaves with hot water in the teapot and straining the tea as it is being poured to prevent tea dust from getting into each cup.

One brand that I am happy with is Ahmad Tea. This brand is produced in London, England. The variety that I think best approximates Persian tea is the Imperial Blend, which is a blend of Darjeeling and Assam, with a hint of bergamot for the slightest flavor of Earl Grey. In my experience, Persian tea is best served hot and sweetened individually with sugar or sugar cubes.

Do any of my readers enjoy tea? Have you tried Persian tea? What works best for you? So far there is no entry in Wikipedia for Iranian or Persian tea. Let me know if you think this would make a good entry.

5 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Hey Dave, I agree there is no better tea than Persian tea. Yummy! I think your blog would make an excellent entry...go for it!

Mary said...

Dave, adding stuff to the online dictionary--very impressive. Your entry is very informative, so I think you should put it up there. Peppermint tea is my favorite kind, but I don't think I've had any Persian tea. I'll have to try some eventually. Also, I like adding honey to my tea instead of suger. You ever done that?

Hey, did you take any pics of the lunar eclipse? If so, you should post 'em. Love you, bro!

Dave + Jess said...

Yes, I have used honey instead of sugar. I like it better, but I am lazy, so I use sugar.

I enjoyed the lunar eclipse, but I did not take any pictures. :(

Sara said...

Those that know me might know that for the last 10 years, I have been somewhat of a coffee and tea connoisseur.

What? You like coffee and tea? I had no idea! :)

I think this entry would make an excellent Wikipedia entry--do it, do it, do it!

PS--Coffee and tea are gross. The end. :D

Eden said...

lol, i've read this post seveal times since you posted it several months ago. lol I just never leave a comment.

First of all, i love persian tea. i've only ever had it at 2 places. Mina's and at a restaurant here in Monterey, The Persian Grill. Very yummy.

I love coffee and i'm warming up to teas. Yes, I've known you like teas and coffees since PCC.

I've never tried doing it fresh myself. i've only ever used tea bags.

Steve does not care for tea. He likes coffee, but sparingly. Although, since being in Egypt, he has told me that he likes the taste of Turkish coffee.

Enjoyed the entry. Go for Wiki. Now, I'm going to check and see if you put this up.

Have a great day! We love you.